PIXEL is a video asset management project built at FCAD's Operations, Technology, and Innovation (OTI) group. The purpose of PIXEL is to provide an easy to use interface for creating embeddable live streams, video-on-demand, and 360/VR-ready content in a standardized manner.
Currently in open beta to all Ryerson staff and faculty members.
Roadmap to v1.0
Player UI Builder Live stream player generator Media file upload and sharing functionality Embeddable media player 360 video and VR playback Responsive embed code generator
- Embeddable playlist builder
- Live chat (text-based) panel
- Share-able and customizable media page
- Channels to group content
Discussion forum for logged in user
- Content statistics and dashboard for users
- Further integration of content tagging system
- Documentation and tutorials
Roadmap to v1.5
- Interactive video builder
- Countdown to livestream shown based on timezone sensitive scheduling
- 'Get Notified' functionality for live streams (similar to livestream.com)
- Allow management and sharing of 360 photos
- Integration with WebVR project
- Release Pixel as an open source managed via GitHub
Roadmap to v2.0
- Real-time stream data and analytics for live streams
- RESTful API to integrate PIXEL content into other systems
- Wowza API integration to enable live stream creation
- Wowza filesystem integration to delivery of VOD content via mpeg-dash and hls
- Authentication via Ryerson's CAS system
- Enabling management of other media types, such as audio, documents, etc.
- Commenting system for logged in users
The technologies used to create Pixel include:
- Drupal CMS for creating the framework to manage content and users.
- Bitmovin HTML5 Video Player library for playback of HLS, MPEG-Dash, and 360/VR videos.
- JWPlayer HTML5 Video Player for playback of RTMP and videos in a playlists.